NDPI support

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:25:00 EDT 2012

Hi David,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, David Gutman <dagutman at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the members of my group has written a converter for NDPI files
> using the Hamamatsu API---  basically we wrapped some see code around the
> DLL file that allows us to read the files--- we mostly use it to take the
> original NDPI file and chop it into tiles so we can do analysis on them...
> Not really a perfect solution, and we are relying on a non-open-source DLL
> (the one from Hamamatsu).... but at least allows us to do some analysis.

So the question is: can you share this piece of code ? At least for me
this would help me a lot.

> The format itself is quite weird-- it seems to have broken a lot of
> normal" conventions--- kind of a JPEG stuffed into a TIFF wrapper....
>
> The Bioformats program package should also have some support for the NDPI
> files, although last time I tried it (which was probably 6 months to a year
> ago), it was a bit flaky.

As mentioned in my post, the NDPI only supports 65000 pixel. Using
current trunk I get:
Reading IFDs
Populating metadata
Populating OME metadata
	at loci.common.DataTools.allocate(DataTools.java:863)
	at loci.formats.ChannelMerger.openBytes(ChannelMerger.java:157)
	at loci.formats.ReaderWrapper.openBytes(ReaderWrapper.java:305)
	at loci.formats.gui.BufferedImageReader.openImage(BufferedImageReader.java:94)
	at loci.formats.gui.BufferedImageReader.openImage(BufferedImageReader.java:77)
	at loci.formats.gui.ImageViewer.open(ImageViewer.java:347)
	at loci.formats.gui.ImageViewer.main(ImageViewer.java:829)

Thanks much !
--
Mathieu