NDPI support

David Gutman dagutman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:39:45 EDT 2012

One of the members of my group has written a converter for NDPI files using
the Hamamatsu API---  basically we wrapped some see code around the DLL
file that allows us to read the files--- we mostly use it to take the
original NDPI file and chop it into tiles so we can do analysis on them...
 Not really a perfect solution, and we are relying on a non-open-source DLL
(the one from Hamamatsu).... but at least allows us to do some analysis.

The format itself is quite weird-- it seems to have broken a lot of normal"
conventions--- kind of a JPEG stuffed into a TIFF wrapper....

The Bioformats program package should also have some support for the NDPI
files, although last time I tried it (which was probably 6 months to a year
ago), it was a bit flaky.