Resolution information for various formats

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 13 01:13:10 EDT 2012

On 07/12/2012 06:58 AM, Yves Sucaet wrote:
> We're trying to embed a scalebar on top of various image type. We've
> been successfull to do this for MRXS files by using the
> MICROMETER_PER_PIXEL_X and the XResolution tag for some TIFF based images.
> We are having trouble though with the resolution unit for some TIFF
> images such as Aperio. Some either state inches as the resolution unit
> and others have no X and Y resolution fields - Aperio for example.
> Does OpenSlide have any resolution information for the various supported
> formats?

See this bug:

https://github.com/openslide/openslide/issues/19

and this list:

http://openslide.org/Requested%20Properties/

I think we should start exposing standard properties for this
information, even though the values in the slide file may not be
entirely accurate.  Your code shouldn't have to understand
vendor-specific properties to get at common metadata.