Opinions regarding MIRAX data file contents

Yves Sucaet sucaet at histogenex.com
Mon Aug 20 05:34:52 EDT 2012

Hello,

I concur with Benjamin that this is mostly hardware (scanning device and
camera) related information. I've asked one of our engineers for his 'best
guess' estimation of what the parameters mean and here's what he came up
with:

XYImagePos => Possible a location within the WSI that may be linked back
to the position of the slideholder in the device (see also XYZMotorPos)
XYZMotorPos => The effectieve location of the slideholder in the
Miraxdevice when a picture is taken. Whether these axis are also used to
define additional locations within the WSI, is unknown
XYZMotorError => Correction error (and suggests the possibility to
compensate) to XYZMotorPos.
ObjectLevel => Perhaps the level in the 'tiled pyramid'?
OpticalFocusLevel => Autofocus-related (helps explain why the zoom-level
is never exactly 40x, but e.g. 39.8x)
LaserFocusLevel => Autofocus-related
FocusingType => What algorithm was used for autofocus
Neighbours => What pixels and images are next to each other
FocalPlane => Name of the focus level (an alternate name for ZMotorPos
perhaps?)
ImageAcquisitionTime => exposure time for a picture

If would seem that the Neighbours information at least may be useful to
help stitch the respective tiles back together. Do you find this
information for each tile? Or just once for a single WSI?

hth,

Yves