Color-/Lineshifts under Windows?

Hauke Heibel hauke.heibel at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 7 16:25:30 EDT 2010

I've spend some more time on the problem and tried to understand the
MIRAX format a little bit better and looked in detail at the method
_openslide_try_mirax.

There are some things which are not totally clear to me and it would
be great, if you could help me out. On the CMU-1 data set, the 9th
level - the level I am always working on for debugging purposes - has
a width of 213 pixels and a height of 431 pixels. The tile size is
according to the slidedat file 340 by 256 and I would expect
tiles_across to be 1 and tiles_down to be 2 but they are 88 and 244.
This means in the loop where you are loading tiles and storing them in
the user's buffer, you load >21k tiles - ok, they are cashed but this
seems to be overkill. Is this intended? I think even the corresponding
data file Data0015 consists of exactly two jpegs which would support
my assumption.

Another thing I do not quite understand is still the tile_advance_x
and tile_advance_y - I am now pretty sure, that a wrong tile_advance_*
value could potentially lead to those patterns we are seeing and I
would have expected that the tile advance values would always be
integral values because tiles should be shifted pixel-wise.

Yet another one is the variable subtiles_per_jpeg_tile - why does it
differ from subtiles_per_position?

I know, that it may be asked too much to explain these things since
you have spend so much time on figuring it all out by yourself but as
I were understanding a bit more, I could help better in debugging and
for the future plans, where we want to support fluorescence it might
also be helpful.

Regards,
- Hauke

p.s. I had to resend the last two e-mails -- forgot to hit the reply
all button :)