cyrus-imapd not starting after upgrade

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Sun Mar 10 10:11:33 EDT 2019

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for my late response. I was very busy and did not check the
mailinglist.

Op 12-02-19 om 14:29 schreef Daniel Bareiro:

> On 8/2/19 16:46, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>
>>> After quite some time, today I decided to update the mail server from
>>> Debian Jessie (cyrus-imapd 2.4.17) to Debian Stretch (cyrus-imapd 2.5.10-3).
>
>> Hello Daniel,
>
> Hello, Paul.
>
>> I use cyrus-imapd 2.5.10-3 from Debian stable on serveral machines and I
>> can tell you that it gives much TLS problems.
>>
>> What I do is this using a cronjob every night, and after rebooting:
>> ----
>> service cyrus-imapd stop
>> mv /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db-weg
>> touch /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db
>> chown cyrus:mail /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db
>> service cyrus-imapd start
>> ----
>>
>> But it takes sometimes 30 minutes before I see "imapd" in "ps aux" again.
>>
>> It seems to be better to use the patches from upstream, to backport the
>> version in testing, or to use 2.5.12 from the Debian salsa git repo.
>>
>> In a few days Cyrus 3.0.8 will be in unstable/testing it's autobuilding
>> at the moment.
>
> Thank you for sharing this. I don't remember seeing errors with TLS in
> the syslog. Could you share some syslog entries to check? From what I
> see, for some reason you create a new tls_sessions.db file.

The point is, that the processes are not closed correctly.

So you get more and more processes. After some time the maxclient
variabele in /etc/cyrus.conf is too low, and you will have a problem.

> Have you opened a bug in Debian BTS about this?

There is a bug about it when I remember well, but not from me.

> The problem that I am observing after the update is the following at the
> time of trying to deliver each mail:
>
> ----------
> [/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp]: Permission denied
> ----------
>
> The delivery is normalized after executing this command:
>
> ----------
> # dpkg-statoverride --force --update --add cyrus lmtp 750
> /var/run/cyrus/socket
> ----------

This is what I do too, but only once.

> But I have noticed that after doing a reboot I have this problem again.
> Any idea what could be a definitive solution?

I did not see this behaviour. What still saw was that Cyrus did not
start after a reboot. What I had to do for systemd was this:
update-rc.d cyrus-imapd enable

Cyrus-imapd 3.0.8 is Debian testing now. I've tested it and I do not see
problems anymore: https://packages.debian.org/cyrus-imapd

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

https://www.vandervlis.nl/