cyrus-imapd not starting after upgrade

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jan 15 15:47:09 EST 2019

Quoting Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net>:

> On 15/1/19 15:05, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
>
>> The fact is that if I also comment out the "http" line, now it seems
>> that I get a syntax error:
>>
>> ----------
>> Jan 15 14:14:28 mail cyrus/master[20778]: configuration file
>> /etc/cyrus.conf: bad character '_' in name on line 101
>> Jan 15 14:14:28 mail cyrus/master[20778]: exiting
>> ----------
>>
>> I think the configuration file already came with the "squatter_a" line
>> and I just removed the comment. Unless this is a bug in the
>> configuration file provided by Stretch for Cyrus 2.5.10:
>>
>> ----------
>>  99         # reindex all mailboxes (fulltext) daily
>> 100         # DGB - 20190114
>> 101         squatter_a      cmd="/usr/sbin/cyrus squatter" at=0517
>> ----------
>
> Hmmmm... it seems this is a bug in the Debian Stretch configuration file
> because of what I see in the examples shown here [1]. The file also has
> the line "squatter_1" and it should be "squatter1".
>
> After that I managed to get the service is up and running (although I
> have still doubt about the "http" line).

http is used for CalDAV / CardDav so is most likely in the
cyrus-caldav package.
This enables your cyrus server to store address books and calendars.

> I have also come across this error now:
>
> ----------
> Jan 15 15:32:16 mail cyrus/imaps[21978]: IDLE: error sending message
> INIT to idled for mailbox user.jsmith: No such file or directory.
> Falling back to polling every 60 seconds.
> ----------

is idled (man idled) configured in cyrus.conf?

> It seems this is preventing access to IMAP mailboxes. I am investigating
> the cause. Any contribution is welcome.

It should not preventing access to IMAP mailboxes. This is a cpu friendly
"inform me if there is new mail" feature which results in
"Falling back to polling every 60 seconds." if it is missing

> Thanks in advance for your time.
>

> Kind regards,
> Daniel
>
> [1] https://www.cyrusimap.org/2.5/imap/admin/systemcommands/squatter.html

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen