Debugging A5 BAD Unexpected extra arguments to Search ?

Kristian Rink kawazu428 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:58:03 EDT 2018

Hi all;

we're running a Java (and Java Mail) based application interacting with
our cyrus imapd server. Trying to use complex search terms (searching
for multiple criterias, such as message-id and message date), we
regularly (all the time?) end up with messages such as

A5 BAD Unexpected extra arguments to Search    or
A7 BAD Unexpected extra arguments to Search

Questions here: What's the difference between A5 and A7? Any way to
debug what exactly is wrong about our search terms here?

TIA and all the best,
Kristian