Debugging A5 BAD Unexpected extra arguments to Search ?

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:27:06 EDT 2018

Hi Kristian,

The "A5" and "A7" are just the "tags" associated with the client's search commands, they have no semantic value.  The client prefixes each command with some tag, and then the server uses the same tag in the response (so that you can identify which response applies to which command).  In these two cases, your client has chosen "A5" and "A7" as tags.  Tags are described in detail here: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-2.2.1

Your Java/Java Mail application hopefully has a feature to log the commands it's sending.  If you turn this on, you'll be able to see which bad search commands were resulting in the error (by matching response tags and command tags), and then compare the command syntax to the expected syntax from the relevant RFCs.

Cheers,

ellie