Why Cyrus?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jan 17 10:39:45 EST 2018

> > I'd say it's the better choice for large-scale deployments with
> > tens and hundreds of thousands of users.
> Cyrus does not require creating users on the mail server which I
> have always believed is a big security plus.

+1  Cyrus having its own identity management has been a big plus; the
server as kind of a service-sandbox.

> > > I use Cyrus because Dovecot did not excist at the time I wanted
> > > to go away from Washington IMAP.
> > I'm in the same boat.
>  The same kind of thing for me because there was not much around in
> the late 90's in the way of IMAP servers.

Same here.  I migrated from UW l-o-n-g ago as UW so desperately
struggled with large mailboxes.

> > Right, but for a new deployment I would at least consider Dovecot.
> > I've never administrated a Dovecot server, but it is definitely
> > much easier to set up than Cyrus.
>  I am not so sure about that now.

Agree [but, honestly, I've never understood the cyrus-is-complicated
bit].  Cyrus is self-contained, which makes it much easier to
administer.

> I believe Cyrus was designed to solve the mailstore problem at scale
> from the outset.

This.

--
Meetings Coordinator, Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers
537 Shirley St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503-1754 Phone: 616.581.8010