SASL 2.1.27 rc7

Ken Murchison murch at fastmail.com
Mon Feb 5 18:18:14 EST 2018

All,

I have built a seventh (and hopefully last) release candidate of SASL
2.1.27 which can be downloaded from here:

HTTP:
  https://www.cyrusimap.org/releases/cyrus-sasl-2.1.27-rc7.tar.gz
  https://www.cyrusimap.org/releases/cyrus-sasl-2.1.27-rc7.tar.gz.sig

FTP:
  ftp://ftp.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-sasl/cyrus-sasl-2.1.27-rc7.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-sasl/cyrus-sasl-2.1.27-rc7.tar.gz.sig

The primary reason for this candidate is to test the latest GSSAPI
changes.  I'd like to roll out the final release in about a week. If not
done by Feb 14, it will wait until Feb 21 when I return from vacation.

The (mostly) complete list of changes from 2.1.26 are these:

  * Added support for OpenSSL 1.1
  * Added support for lmdb (from Howard Chu)
  * Lots of build fixes (from Ignacio Casal Quinteiro and others)
  * Treat SCRAM and DIGEST-MD5 as more secure than PLAIN when selecting
    client mech
  * DIGEST-MD5 plugin:
      o Fixed memory leaks
      o Fixed a segfault when looking for non-existent reauth cache
      o Prevent client from going from step 3 back to step 2
      o Allow cmusaslsecretDIGEST-MD5 property to be disabled
  * GSSAPI plugin:
      o Added support for retrieving negotiated SSF
      o Fixed GSS-SPNEGO to use flags negotiated by GSSAPI for SSF
      o Properly compute maxbufsize AFTER security layers have been set
  * SCRAM plugin:
      o Added support for SCRAM-SHA-256
      o Allow SCRAM-* to be used by HTTP
  * LOGIN plugin:
      o Don’t prompt client for password until requested by server
  * NTLM plugin:
      o Fixed crash due to uninitialized HMAC context
  * saslauthd:
      o cache.c:
          + Don’t use cached credentials if timeout has expired
          + Fixed debug logging output
      o ipc_doors.c:
          + Fixed potential DoS attack (from Oracle)
      o ipc_unix.c:
          + Prevent premature closing of socket
      o auth_rimap.c:
          + Added support LOGOUT command
          + Added support for unsolicited CAPABILITY responses in LOGIN
            reply
          + Properly detect end of responses (don’t needlessly wait)
          + Properly handle backslash in passwords
      o auth_httpform:
          + Fix off-by-one error in string termination
          + Added support for 204 success response
      o auth_krb5.c:
          + Added krb5_conv_krb4_instance option
          + Added more verbose error logging

At this point any major changes (e.g. API, wire protocol) will be pushed
out to 2.1.28 or 2.2.0.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Cyrus Development Team