Cyrus + Xapian

Robert Stepanek rsto at fastmailteam.com
Mon Apr 23 03:48:31 EDT 2018

Hi Albert,

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, at 08:05, Albert Shih wrote:
> Le 20/04/2018 à 16:18:23+0200, Robert Stepanek a écrit

> >  Would you be able to inspect a [..]
> > core dump of squatter?
>
> No dump (don't know why).

For Linux, one has to set a kernel flag to allow core dumps for processes that changed ownership: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/blob/master/docsrc/imap/reference/faqs/o-coredump.rst

There's probably a similar thing for FreeBSD, but I haven't worked with FreeBSD since quite some time.

> The « funny » thing is, know it's absolutly sure, the first time I get a
> Seg Fault, but the second time it's working perfectly....

I'd be tempted to start guessing here, but it's really too early to tell. A core trace that tells us exactly where it's crashing is really the best next step.

> One question about the way squatter/xapian/cyrus interact, but is it
> possible to loose email if squatter/xapian goes to segmentation during a
> incomming mail ?

The squatter process is running separately from the IMAP-related processes. There's shouldn't be any issue losing mail. At worst, you might end up with corrupted indices, but they all can be rebuilt from the mail folders.

Cheers,
Robert