httpd/carddav from git sources

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Sun Jun 26 20:02:18 EDT 2016

Hi Johan,

I don't know how your git repository got into that state...

>   $ git describe
>   cyrus-imapd-2.5-snapshot-autoconf-and-automake-3857-g4049dd2

This says that the nearest tag your git can find is
"cyrus-imapd-2.5-snapshot-autoconf-and-automake"(which is over four
years old), and that your branch is 3857 commits ahead of that tag (but
the "cyrus-imapd-2.5.0" release tag is only 1796 commits ahead, so why
didn't describe find that, instead?), and that the commit id of your
branch tip is "4049dd2" (which I don't have, presumably because it's
your local commit containing your changes).

You probably want to refetch entirely I suspect [but keep reading first]

>   * remote origin
>     Fetch URL: git://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd
>     Push  URL: git://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd
>     HEAD branch: master

I think these URLs are wrong/old.  If you can even fetch from them
anymore, do they update?  Look at the dates on the recent commits -- are
they ancient?  ('git log --format=fuller' to see commit dates).

But anyway, we just moved our repositories to github last week, so
anything you get from your old origin is going to be stale now
regardless.  https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd is the github page
with the clone/fork/etc links.

> I got this all from
> https://cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Contribute#Anonymous_GIT_Access;
> the text indicates that development is actually happening elsewhere, but
> it has never been clear to me what the relationship between the
> repositories is.

Okay, that mediawiki is ancient -- I actually thought it was gone
already -- so that explains the old info.   I guess you got there from
Google, because it hasn't been linked from cyrusimap.org for ages.

Anyway, I suspect once you set up the correct git remote, and fetch from
that, your build troubles will go away.

Cheers,

ellie