IPv6

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Apr 5 00:33:46 EDT 2016

Hi Sebastian,

> > Sebastian, is there anything you tried that *didn't* work, and if so,
> > what happened?
>
> The only thing I tried that didn't work was to add a IPv6 listener and to
> HUP the master process. The manpage for master reads (in my version):
>
>        Cyrus-master rereads its configuration file when it receives a
> hangup signal, SIGHUP.   Services  and
>        events  may be added, deleted or modified when the configuration
> file is reread.  Any active services
>        removed from the configuration file will be allowed to run until
> completion.
>
> From that it isn't obvious that some class of changes to cyrus.conf
> apparently require a restart of the service.

I've been looking through master/master.c to see what it actually does,
and it looks like it matches this documentation.

It does have some commentary in reread_conf() about recycling services
that have not been removed nor were newly added, which almost sounds as
if it might have this sort of effect... except that, digging into
add_service(), it will only reuse entries if their name, listen and
proto all match (which if you've changed one to IPv6, it won't), and
otherwise it will be added as a new service (and so reread_conf() will
treat it as a newly added service, not an existing one to recycle).

I'm pretty tired, and so probably not reading it as closely as I could
otherwise -- maybe there's a bug or subtlety I've missed -- but: it at
least /looks like it intends to/ do what the documentation says.  So
it's interesting that it didn't.

Cheers,

ellie