virtdomains

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 25 08:34:56 EDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015, at 21:43, Vladislav Kurz wrote:
> settings in imapd.conf
>
> virtdomains: userid
> defaultdomain: example.com
> # the domain for old "domainless" mailboxes
>
> If i remember correctly, we had to switch to "unixhierarchysep: yes"
> before enabling virtdomains. (we wanted to support mailboxes in the form
> firstname.lastame at company.com). That was a bit of pain, some users had to
> reconfigure their mail clients. I am not sure if virtdomains work without
> unixhierarchysep.

They certainly do!  FastMail runs virtdomains: userid and unixhierarchysep: no.
It's a very well tested configuration :)

We still run some users split and some not, because it's a pain to change users
over.  Mostly because we rebuild search indexes and a bunch of other heavy IO
things after the rename.

Regards,

Bron.

--