virtdomains

Vladislav Kurz vladislav.kurz at webstep.net
Fri Sep 25 07:43:52 EDT 2015

On Friday 25 of September 2015 Patrick Goetz <pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

> It seems that everyone is using virdomains now, and I need to start
> doing this soon myself.  2 questions:
>
> 1. Can I use virtdomain accounts alongside the existing
> non-domain-specific accounts; or more precisely
>
> 2. Can I just add the virtdomain functionality to my existing install
> without disrupting the existing mail service in any way?  Or does this
> become a management headache?

Hello,

the answer is 2x yes. We did exactly that a few years ago - (cyrus 2.4.16)

settings in imapd.conf

virtdomains: userid
defaultdomain: example.com
# the domain for old "domainless" mailboxes

If i remember correctly, we had to switch to "unixhierarchysep: yes"
before enabling virtdomains. (we wanted to support mailboxes in the form
firstname.lastame at company.com). That was a bit of pain, some users had to
reconfigure their mail clients. I am not sure if virtdomains work without
unixhierarchysep.

And just for record this is combined with sasldb auth backend. Old accounts
are in form user at short-hostname, new accounts are full email address.

However, please test the transition on a test machine first.

--
best Regards
        Vladislav Kurz