IMAP archive?

Marco falon at ruparpiemonte.it
Fri Mar 6 06:15:33 EST 2015

> On 03/05/15 13:53 +0100, Marco wrote:
>> I read in docs that with Cyrus-Imapd I can create a folder Archive
>> with no quota for each user, using a dedicated partition.
>
> Assuming you have a quota root set for each user's INBOX, you would need to
> explicitly set a higher quota value for any such archive folder, if it
> exists hierarchically underneath the INBOX.

I tried to create a subfolder of Archive, and it inherits the Archive
quota's and partition's. And if I move that folder underneath INBOX,
it takes the quota root and partition of INBOX. So this mechanism
seems to work in Cyrus-Imapd 2.4.17.

I only need to set the partition and quota for Archive folder on each user.

> This would be best handled at the MUA level as there are no internal
> solutions I'm aware of (like ipurge).

An ipurge for archive (or an annotation as cyr_expire) is what I would
like. I'm sorry of this lack.

> An imapsync script with --minage and --delete/--expunge should do the
> trick, but would need to iterate over all your mailboxes.
>
>> I would also to know limits of an IMAP archive solution.
>> How does a slow partition with large amount of mails and folders
>> impact in mailbox, indexes and whole server performances? In other
>> words, does performances degrade only for Archive folder selection, or
>> for all mailbox too?
>
> --
> Dan White

Thank you very much