IMAP archive?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sat Mar 14 16:34:04 EDT 2015

On 2015-03-05 16:02, Dan White wrote:
> On 03/05/15 13:53 +0100, Marco wrote:
>>  I read in docs that with Cyrus-Imapd I can create a folder Archive
>> with no quota for each user, using a dedicated partition.
>
> Assuming you have a quota root set for each user's INBOX, you would
> need to
> explicitly set a higher quota value for any such archive folder, if it
> exists hierarchically underneath the INBOX.

More specifically, you need to create a quota root on the Archive folder
(however it be named) so that it is no longer a part of the original
INBOX quota root, and you could set the Archive folder's quota root
storage quota to be '-1', aka. 'unlimited'.

Separately, you could make the Archive folder (however it be named) end
up on a separate partition or even a separate server/partition, so that
it is abundantly less resource-rich than your average INBOX
server(s)/partition(s).

You would typically restrict your users to, say, 1GB of storage space,
and hence force them to "archive" mail at a reasonable point in time --
or risk run out of storage quota.

If the only place they can archive *to* just so happens to be this
Archive folder that is located on a cheaper/slower set of disks, then
maybe that's just what you wanted.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--