Why are user inboxes called "user.some-user" ?

Conrad Kleinespel conradk at conradk.com
Sun Jul 19 07:21:01 EDT 2015

Hello Nic,

Thanks for your time :-)

This clears things up a bit for me.

However, my question was meant to ask why we even need to separate
things into "user/..." and "netnews/..." and "shared/..." instead of
just handling everything through the ACL extension (which should allow
to have shared mailboxes by given read only access, right?).

I understand that we have those abstractions in place but I don't yet
understand why we need those abstractions.

For instance, why couldn't we put everything in the same namespace:
    root
        comp.mail.imap
        fred

and when a user "fred" wants access to the mailbox, just request "fred"
instead of "user.fred" ?

Best regards,

Conrad Kleinespel
conradk at conradk.com