Why are user inboxes called "user.some-user" ?

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Sun Jul 19 10:08:36 EDT 2015

On 07/19/2015 06:21 AM, Conrad Kleinespel wrote:
> my question was meant to ask why we even need to separate
> things into "user/..." and "netnews/..." and "shared/..." instead of
> just handling everything through the ACL extension (which should allow
> to have shared mailboxes by given read only access, right?).
>
> I understand that we have those abstractions in place but I don't yet
> understand why we need those abstractions.
>
> For instance, why couldn't we put everything in the same namespace:
>      root
>          comp.mail.imap
>          fred
>
> and when a user "fred" wants access to the mailbox, just request "fred"
> instead of "user.fred" ?

Ah, sorry, that wasn't quite clear to me.  Historical artifact is my
assumption, and the fact that for several years, at CMU, the
pre-existing bboard system (net news-like discussion boards) was
integrated into Cyrus.  Separate namespaces for users vs shared folders
vs netnews, etc. makes sense to some; common namespace makes sense to
others.  Changing from the former to the latter could be a real mess,
however.

Cyrus history discussion here:
     http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Cyrus_History

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com
219 N. Milwaukee St., Ste. 2A	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202		  f. 414.290.0335