Why are user inboxes called "user.some-user" ?

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Jul 16 16:46:53 EDT 2015

Conrad,
It's important to keep clear the difference between what the server
knows about, such as "user", "news", "some-shared-folder" and what the
client presents to you, such as "Other Users", "Shared Folders", etc.
The former map to actual hierarchy elements, whereas the latter are
purely abstractions.

Similarly, there is abstraction between a user's mailboxes and what they
see in their client.  The user "fred" will, by default, have the mailbox
named user.fred (or user/fred if unixhierarchysep is enabled) but it
will appear to them as INBOX in their client. Depending upon the setting
of altnamespace, a user's mailbox named "user.fred.Stuff" may appear as
"INBOX.Stuff" or as "Stuff".

If you're exporting NNTP via IMAP, then the 'newsprefix' option is used
to determine the root of the net news hierarchy.  For example, if
imapd.conf has "newsprefix: netnews" then the comp.mail.imap newsgroup
would be found in the netnews.comp.mail.imap folder, which might appear
in, for example, Thunderbird as "Shared Filders/netnews/comp/mail/imap"

Check out the docs here:
     http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.17/overview.php

Cheers,
     -nic

PS - I've listed the 2.4.17 link on the old site as some of the stuff on
the new site, docs.cyrus.foundation, aren't working yet.