duplicatesuppression -- why?

Robert Norris robn at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 10 06:51:38 EST 2015

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015, at 09:33 PM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> How often does it happen that the same message is being
> delivered twice?

Quite often when mailing lists are involved. You might get a reply
addressed to you directly and another one via the list. Or if you're
sending to a list, you might get a copy from the list when you already
have the message in your sent folder. In both those cases it can be
useful for the second copy to be dropped.

The major problem with it in my experience is that you might actually
prefer the copy of the message that came through the list. For me that's
usually because I wanted DKIM headers or similar. Most of the time
though its a nicer experience for users, which is why we quite
deliberately have it enabled at FastMail.

Cheers, Rob N.