duplicatesuppression -- why?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Jan 10 05:33:19 EST 2015

I've been wondering about this for a while, given that there is an
entire db file devoted to this task, indicating a considerable
investment of resources.

 From the imapd.conf man page:
-----------------------
duplicatesuppression: 1
If enabled, lmtpd will suppress delivery of a message to a mailbox if a
message with the same message-id (or resent-message-id) is recorded as
having already been delivered to the mailbox. Records the mailbox and
message-id/resent-message-id of all successful deliveries.

How often does it happen that the same message is being delivered twice?
  I can't think of a single SMTP scenario where this would be a major
concern, but then I'm not an expert.

Is this another crazy anachronism (like all the NNTP features) that I
should just turn off and forget about once and for all?