Sieve vacation script?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Sat Dec 26 16:14:30 EST 2015

Hi,

> I've been struggling with figuring out how to set up a sieve vacation
> reply script.  The documentation on this is pretty sparse, and the stuff
> I do find doesn't work.  For example,
>
> [cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
> --authname=cyrus localhost
> connecting to localhost
> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.
> [cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
> --authname=cyrus episcopalarchives.org
> connecting to episcopalarchives.org
> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.

first of all you have to add lines to /etc/cyrus.conf to make the server
listen to the right ports:

At least in our /etc/services file, "sieve" is still port 2000 even though
that's been superseded by RFC 5804. We listen on both ports:

  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de:sieve"
prefork=0
  managesieve   cmd="timsieved" listen="cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de:4190"
prefork=0

> I'm also not sure what the point is of sieveshell is if I'm running it on
> the mail server and not remotely; similarly for timsieved.

You can run sieveshell on any computer you like. Just make sure the port
mentioned above are reachable.

> First question:  is there step by step explanation for manually creating
> and invoking a cyrus sieve script for a particular user?

Not really. I prefer to use a GUI. We offer Smartsieve to our clients:

<http://freecode.com/projects/smartsieve>

There's also an Add-On for Thunderbird:

<https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/sieve/>
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121, Zimmer 2.02
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)