Sieve vacation script?

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 26 13:26:43 EST 2015

I've been struggling with figuring out how to set up a sieve vacation
reply script.  The documentation on this is pretty sparse, and the stuff
I do find doesn't work.  For example,

[cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
--authname=cyrus localhost
connecting to localhost
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.
[cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
--authname=cyrus episcopalarchives.org
connecting to episcopalarchives.org
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.

I'm also not sure what the point is of sieveshell is if I'm running it
on the mail server and not remotely; similarly for timsieved.

First question:  is there step by step explanation for manually creating
and invoking a cyrus sieve script for a particular user?

Second question:  Ancient unix/linux users will recall a simple vacation
program that any user could run to throw up or take down an automated
vacation reply.  The age of sieve has made this process considerably
more complicated, but I would like to write (or obtain) a script that
performs a similar function for cyrus sieve; i.e. the user runs vacation
and it automatically sets up an automated vacation reply message.
Anyone have something like this already?

I've been beating my head against google for many hours at this point
looking for information on how this all works, particularly with cyrus
and haven't found anything.