Sieve vacation script?

Shawn Bakhtiar shashaness at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 27 13:37:21 EST 2015

> On Dec 26, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Sebastian Hagedorn via Info-cyrus <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I've been struggling with figuring out how to set up a sieve vacation
>> reply script.  The documentation on this is pretty sparse, and the stuff
>> I do find doesn't work.  For example,
>>
>> [cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
>> --authname=cyrus localhost
>> connecting to localhost
>> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.
>> [cyrus at www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research at episcopalarchives.org
>> --authname=cyrus episcopalarchives.org
>> connecting to episcopalarchives.org
>> unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.
>
> first of all you have to add lines to /etc/cyrus.conf to make the server listen to the right ports:
>
> At least in our /etc/services file, "sieve" is still port 2000 even though that's been superseded by RFC 5804. We listen on both ports:
>
> sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de:sieve" prefork=0
> managesieve   cmd="timsieved" listen="cyrus.rrz.uni-koeln.de:4190" prefork=0
>
>> I'm also not sure what the point is of sieveshell is if I'm running it on
>> the mail server and not remotely; similarly for timsieved.
>
> You can run sieveshell on any computer you like. Just make sure the port mentioned above are reachable.
>
>> First question:  is there step by step explanation for manually creating
>> and invoking a cyrus sieve script for a particular user?
>
> Not really. I prefer to use a GUI. We offer Smartsieve to our clients:

I would agree… most users will not be tech savvy enough to create sieve scripts. We provide RoundCube webmail, with a manage sieve plugging where users can manage their filters (including vacation).

If you install it on the IMAP server itself, you simply need to have the service running as mentioned above. If you have it running on a separate server, make sure to check your firewall rules to allow the remote RoundCube (as a client) to connect to the local timseived service.