ubuntu serve - cyrus fails to start

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Tue Apr 28 22:00:50 EDT 2015

On 04/28/2015 08:31 PM, lowpass wrote:
> I had done an upgrade of some packages. I listed those at the end of
> my first message. I don't think any of them had anything to do with
> cyrus, though. But i'd rebooted the server afterwards; i think that's
> why the problem with cyrus began to appear.

Something, at some point, set cyrus-imapd-2.4 and cyrus-common-2.4 to
'deinstall', and a subsequent 'apt' command, even an upgrade, would then
cause the deinstallation to take hold.  The actual setting of the dpkg
database to 'deinstall' may have happened some time ago.

The reboot would just be icing on the cake, as most pre-or-post-removal
scripts will stop the service (although that often doesn't work well).

> # zgrep cyrus-imapd /var/log/apt/
>
> I had already tried that. Nothing at all.

Just to be clear, that command, as you typed it above, will not work.
You need to run 'zgrep cyrus-imapd /var/log/apt/*'.  Without the glob at
the end (*) you're just zgrepping the DIRENT.  And, for the record,
zgrep will error with the <recursive> flag, "-R."

> # sh -x /etc/init.d/cyrus-imapd start
> + LC_ALL=C
> + export LC_ALL
> + PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
> + PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
> + NAME=cyrmaster
> + DAEMON=/usr/sbin/cyrmaster
> + PIDFILE=/var/run/cyrmaster.pid
> + DESC=Cyrus IMAPd
> + test -x /usr/sbin/cyrmaster
> + exit 0
>
> Good idea about shell debugging, thanks. In any case, it's failing
> because cyrmaster no longer exists. :-(
>
> Bron: no, nothing in syslog. I'd checked that first thing.
>
> I'm mystified as to what has happened. I think i'll try to (re)install
> those packages and see what comes of it. But, realistically, it looks
> like i should rebuild the server.

You should be fine just doing an "# apt-get install cyrus-imapd-2.4
cyrus-common-2.4" since the config files are still in place.  This
package re-installation shouldn't touch any existing data.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com