Migrate cyrus 2.3.8 to 2.4.17

Giuseppe Ravasio giuseppe_ravasio at modiano.com
Wed Oct 8 10:00:41 EDT 2014

On 10/08/2014 11:10 AM, jayesh shinde wrote:
> Hi Giuseppe ,
>
> I want to learn few points from your migration scenario.
>
> Few days back I migrated my  32 bit cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-12.el5_7.2   to 64
> bit cyrus-imapd-2.4.17-6.el6.x86_64 server
> I faced the below problems , how you are handling the below points on 64
> bit server  in your case ?
>
> 1) How do you  maintained the seen-unseen mail flags.

In my test case I hadn't any problems with seen and other flags.
I to be told that both source and destination are using skiplist as seen
database format.

> 2) I came across duplicate email download issue in email client .
>     When IP of 32bit server shifted to 64 bit server , then for those
> client who have setup POP3 account with "leave copy on server" in email
> clients for them emails got download again.
> On 64 bit server there was no changes in  /etc/hosts and DNS A records
> and /etc/resolve.conf , it was exactly same as 32 bit.

To be honest this server is an IMAP only service, so I haven't tested
the POP3 cases.
Anyway I think that this problem is related with the first one, because
if a message is downloaded via POP3 the server sould set the seen flag
on it.
I did a public cyrus server migration months ago from 2.2.x to 2.4.17
and I don't recall to have had thoose kind of problems (and I'm sure
that there where 30/50 users using POP3 with copy on server).

Did you rsync the /var/lib/imap/user/ from the old server?

Bye
Giuseppe