Migrate cyrus 2.3.8 to 2.4.17

jayesh.shinde jayesh.shinde at netcore.co.in
Thu Oct 9 08:37:03 EDT 2014

Hi ,
Thanks for the feedback , please find inline reply.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 07:31 PM, Giuseppe Ravasio  wrote:On 10/08/2014 11:10 AM, jayesh shinde wrote:
Hi Giuseppe ,

I want to learn few points from your migration scenario.

Few days back I migrated my  32 bit cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-12.el5_7.2   to 64
bit cyrus-imapd-2.4.17-6.el6.x86_64 server
I faced the below problems , how you are handling the below points on 64
bit server  in your case ?

1) How do you  maintained the seen-unseen mail flags.

In my test case I hadn't any problems with seen and other flags.
I to be told that both source and destination are using skiplist as seen
database format.

2) I came across duplicate email download issue in email client .
When IP of 32bit server shifted to 64 bit server , then for those
client who have setup POP3 account with "leave copy on server" in email
clients for them emails got download again.
On 64 bit server there was no changes in  /etc/hosts and DNS A records
and /etc/resolve.conf , it was exactly same as 32 bit.

To be honest this server is an IMAP only service, so I haven't tested
the POP3 cases.
Anyway I think that this problem is related with the first one, because
if a message is downloaded via POP3 the server sould set the seen flag
on it.
I did a public cyrus server migration months ago from 2.2.x to 2.4.17
and I don't recall to have had thoose kind of problems (and I'm sure
that there where 30/50 users using POP3 with copy on server).

Did you rsync the /var/lib/imap/user/ from the old server?

YES , i did rsync with of all .seen & .sub files  to 64 bit server , by that mail flag ( i.e seen / unseen ) got resolved. This was verified by webmail and email client i.e vai IMAP.
But , after migration duplicate email downloading in pop3 email client  was not resolved .  This is still question for me.
Bye
Giuseppe

Thanks
Jayesh shinde