Database error

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Mon Jun 9 07:38:31 EDT 2014

Dear Niels and cyrus-imap friends,

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 07:58:43PM +0200, Niels Dettenbach wrote:
> Hi Wiel,
>
> Am Montag, 2. Juni 2014, 16:44:14 schrieben Sie:
> > I already suspected something like that. but I miss some more detailed
> > info.
> >
> > Following plan A:
> >
> > How can I update DB data? What are the tools to use? What is the content of
> > /var/imap/db anyway? Can it be disposed of and will it be regenerated
> > automagically?
> >
> > Following plan B:
> >
> > How do I export and import the data. Is there a db_dump and db_import?
> > At least, this route would allow me to make a judgement about the data.
>
> Take a look at i.e.:
>
> http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.12/install-upgrade.php
>
> and/or:
> http://www.banquise.org/software/how-to-recover-from-cyrus-when-you-have-some-db-errors/
>

> make a "simple" skiplist file from your mailboxes index db file with the
> cvt_cyrusdb tool - i.e. (fit the pathes!). I usually execute cyrus commands
> under the cyrus user of that system (typically "cyrus") by sudo or "su cyrus":
>
> /usr/cyrus/bin/cvt_cyrusdb /var/imap/mailboxes.db berkeley \
> /var/imap/mailboxes.db.new skiplist
>
> mv /var/imap/mailboxes.db.new /var/imap/mailboxes.db
>
> This could be used independently from your DB version and is very handy if you
> have to "rebuild" your mailbox database "from the ground" (backup).
>
> A "hard" version is to delete the databases and let regenerate it new from
> cyrus. Make shure that you have the mailbox index file (mailboxes.db as
> skiplist and as a backup - and pls make a full backup of your /var/lib/cyrus
> database directory structure):
>
> -> STOP/KILL all cyrus processes
> su - cyrus
> cd /var/lib/cyrus
> rm db/*
> rm db.backup1/*
> rm db.backup2/*
> rm deliver.db
> rm tls_sessions.db
> -> START cyrus
> reconstruct
> or
> cyrreconstruct -r user.*
>
> (depending from under how name the reconstruct command is available)
>

> cheerioh,
>

> Niels.
> --

After an unplanned and unforeseen reboot, the problem disappeared. To me it
seems that the '/var/imap/db' directory was recreated automagically during
reboot. As the actual problem started after an update of FreeBSD ports, I
have the impression that the update procedure for cyrus-imap and berkely db
is not failure free. If the update for berkely db is so crucial for
cyrus-imap, then arrangements for that should be settled.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Wiel