Database error

Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com) nd at syndicat.com
Mon Jun 9 07:49:45 EDT 2014

Am 09.06.2014 um 13:38 schrieb Willy Offermans <Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl>:

> After an unplanned and unforeseen reboot, the problem disappeared. To me it
> seems that the '/var/imap/db' directory was recreated automagically during
> reboot. As the actual problem started after an update of FreeBSD ports,
This was „luck“ - by principle there are situations where cyrus could not recreate all details out of  the mail spool or older data(base) files.

> have the impression that the update procedure for cyrus-imap and berkely db
> is not failure free. If the update for berkely db is so crucial for
> cyrus-imap, then arrangements for that should be settled.

not really,
it is not easy to „automate“ for anyone because cyrus uses BDB, but BDB is not part of cyrus and as many databases BDBs are not “backward compatible“. On the other hand, if you change the architecture while using the same version of BDB the data would be incompatible too.

The „official“ way to upgrade to a newer Berkeley DB (with or without a newer cyrus version) is afaik the way „by hand“ - BEFORE the old BDB is deinstalled or overwritten you have to make an export of the databases to a „independent“ format like i.e. plain text / skiplist and reimported AFTer the NEW BDB / database software is installed.

In the context of cyrus this means that at least the mailbox list is exported to a „independent“ data format (i.e. plain text) and reimported by the „new“ database software.

So this is a question of your Berkeley DB and not cyrus primarily, even if many binary distributors build/compile newer cyrus versions with newer bundled BDB versions and even if some distributors deliver „automatic upgrade“ routines within their packages which are doing that job for you (as long as you strongly use their „idea“ of how you configure and use cyrus).

hth,
cheerioh,

Niels.