Best distro for Exim/Cyrus

Paul O'Rorke paul at tracker-software.com
Thu Feb 20 16:51:36 EST 2014

Thanks Vlad,

> the last three lines (ifnedef - endif) can be IMHO deleted, because
> DIGEST-MD5 (and CRAM-MD5 and NTLM) do not send plaintext passwords, so
> should be allowed even on otherwise unencrypted connection.
commented out.

> Check if user Debian-exim is member of sasl group - to get access to
> /etc/sasldb2.

    root at blmail:/etc/exim4/conf.d# groups Debian-exim
    Debian-exim : Debian-exim root mail sasl cyrus
    root at blmail:/etc/exim4/conf.d# ls -l /etc/sasldb2
    -rw-rw---- 1 cyrus Debian-exim 12288 Feb 19 20:19 /etc/sasldb2

Looks right to me...

> Thunderbird has separate auth setting for SMTP, hovewer you should
> specify the same user/pass as for IMAP. Check also the option "auth
> method" and set encrypted password - which is luser translation of
> DIGEST/CRAM-MD5.

It seems that exim is not using the same auth as cyrus.  TB doesn't
recognise the encrypted passwords option.  Nor does Outlook so I don't
think it's the MUA.

When I let TB query the server for settings it correctly returns with
'Encrypted password' for IMAP but 'Password, transmitted insecurely' for
SMTP.  Leaving that setting results in the expected 'relay not
permitted' setting it in TB to use 'Encrypted password' results in the
following error message in TB:

    Sending of message failed.
    The SMTP server chemainus.mjbrownloos.com does not support the
    selected authentication method. Please change the 'Authentication
    method' in the 'Account Settings | Outgoing Server (SMTP)'.

I'm watching (tail -f) the following 4 log files when I send
(/var/log/exim/ has only mainlog and rejectlog):

    /var/log/exim4/mainlog
    /var/log/exim4/rejectlog
    /var/log/syslog
    /var/log/auth.log

but I'm not seeing anything helpful.   Indeed  I need to trace the
process on send and find out where is is baulking, any thoughts on how
to find that?

Since this seems to now be an Exim thing, perhaps at this point I should
be asking this on the exim list?

*Paul O'Rorke* Tracker Software Products paul at tracker-software.com
<mailto:paul.ororke at tracker-software.com>