Best distro for Exim/Cyrus

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 11 05:45:30 EST 2014

On 2/10/2014 4:13 PM, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
> still trying to find a definitive resource to use to get this mail
> server up and running.  Does anyone know of a good howto for setting up
> Debian/Exim/Cyrus?  I think this is the combination I want to move from
> the Centos/Exim/Dovecote box I inherited but I must confess to really
> struggling here.

I started out with Exim/Cyrus and ended up going with Postfix/Cyrus
because of the extensive Postfix documentation available.  I similarly
spent way too much time looking for relevant howtos and documentation,
which seems to be either out of date or non-existent.  Is everyone just
using gmail these days? That would be a blow to Internet freedom. The
Cyrus documentation is particularly weak.  Cyrus could be the dominant
imap platform if it came with some excellent documentation.

Ubuntu has a Postfix/dovecot metapackage that works pretty well.  I
toyed with the idea of doing something similar for Postfix/Cyrus, but am
now in the process of switching all my desktops/servers from Ubuntu to
Arch, so this wouldn't necessarily apply for Debian users anymore anyway.