Best distro for Exim/Cyrus

Vladislav Kurz vladislav.kurz at webstep.net
Thu Feb 20 05:23:57 EST 2014

On Thursday 20 of February 2014 05:50:21 Paul O'Rorke wrote:
> Hi again guys,
>
> thanks for the help thus far.  I have managed to get cyrus talking with
> exim to deliver mail (the -a inside the quotes did this) and I have the
> cyrus_sasl driver authenticating using DIGEST-MD5:
>
>     digest_md5_sasl_server:
>         driver = cyrus_sasl
>         public_name = DIGEST-MD5
>         server_realm = chemainus.mjbrownloos.com
>         server_set_id = $auth1
>         .ifndef AUTH_SERVER_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS
>         server_advertise_condition = ${if eq{$tls_cipher}{}{}{*}}
>         .endif

Hi,

the last three lines (ifnedef - endif) can be IMHO deleted, because DIGEST-MD5
(and CRAM-MD5 and NTLM) do not send plaintext passwords, so should be allowed
even on otherwise unencrypted connection.

Check if user Debian-exim is member of sasl group - to get access to
/etc/sasldb2.

> I can receive mail OK, exim passes it to cyrus and I can work with
> mailboxes in Thunderbird however I don't seem to be able to authenticate
> to the SMTP server when sending.  Do I need to specify a separate auth
> for sending through SMTP?

Thunderbird has separate auth setting for SMTP, hovewer you should specify the
same user/pass as for IMAP. Check also the option "auth method" and set
encrypted password - which is luser translation of DIGEST/CRAM-MD5.

> If it can authenticate for IMAP using *digest_md5_sasl_server* why would
> it fail when sending?

Just because IMAP auth is done by cyrus and SMTP auth by exim ;) Check
/var/log/exim/*log, there might be some hints...

--
S pozdravem
        Vladislav Kurz

=== WebStep, s.r.o. (Ltd.) ========= a step to the Web ===
address: Mezirka 1, 602 00 Brno, CZ, tel: +420 548 214 711
=== www.webstep.net ======= vladislav.kurz at webstep.net ===