IOERROR: Mailbox name too long

Nina Pollak nina.pollak at ist.ac.at
Thu Apr 17 08:47:45 EDT 2014

On 04/16/2014 10:33 AM, Michael Menge wrote:
> Hi Nina,
>
> Quoting Nina Pollak <nina.pollak at ist.ac.at>:
>
>> Hi,
>> we have upgraded our servers from debian squeeze to wheezy.
>> So the cyrus packages are now 2.4.16 (former 2.2)
>>

>> It seems there is a problem with the authentication in our murder setup.
>>
>> cyrus at backend:~$ mupdatetest -u cyrplain -m plain frontend-master.server
>> S: A01 NO "undefined error!"
>> Authentication failed. generic failure
>> Security strength factor: 0
>>

> Between Cyrus 2.2 and 2.4 the default value for "allowplaintext" changed.
> So you need an encrypted connection ssl/stattls, an SASL mechanisms
> where the password is encrypted or change the value for allowplaintext
> in your imapd.conf (which is not recommended)
>
> mupdatetest does support the option -t '' like imtest to use starttls

Thanks, for your quick reply.
o.k. I go away from this plain stuff and it works via kerberos as you
can see below.

But my main problem is not solved. If I try to create a subfolder via my
prefered imap client the fronted server also running mupdate master on
it tells me

    "IOERROR: Mailbox name too long"

I enabled telemetry logging on the frontend-master.server and it says

    <1397735852<7 create "user.pollaktest.testplainmboxr.jaja"
    >1397735852>7 NO Invalid mailbox name

The problem appears after the dist-upgrade from debian squeeze to wheezy.
That also means we have a newer cyrus-imapd version (2.4.16)

Are there any changes concerning this problem since cyrus-imapd2.2?

Best,
Nina

cyrus at backend:~$ mupdatetest -u cyrmupdate -m GSSAPI frontend-master.server
S: * AUTH "GSSAPI" "DIGEST-MD5" "CRAM-MD5" "NTLM" "LOGIN" "PLAIN"
S: * STARTTLS
S: * COMPRESS "DEFLATE"
S: * PARTIAL-UPDATE
S: * OK MUPDATE "sslmailtest" "Cyrus Murder"
"v2.4.16-Debian-2.4.16-4+deb7u1" "(master)"
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE "GSSAPI" {884+}

S: A01 OK "Authenticated"
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 56