IOERROR: Mailbox name too long

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Apr 17 14:15:17 EDT 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014, Nina Pollak wrote:

> But my main problem is not solved. If I try to create a subfolder via my
> prefered imap client the fronted server also running mupdate master on
> it tells me
>
>    "IOERROR: Mailbox name too long"
>
> I enabled telemetry logging on the frontend-master.server and it says
>
>    <1397735852<7 create "user.pollaktest.testplainmboxr.jaja"
>    >1397735852>7 NO Invalid mailbox name
>
> The problem appears after the dist-upgrade from debian squeeze to wheezy.
> That also means we have a newer cyrus-imapd version (2.4.16)
>
> Are there any changes concerning this problem since cyrus-imapd2.2?

This sounds like a namespace problem to me.  Why is the IMAP client trying
to create the folder using the internal Cyrus namespace (user.pollaktest)?
Shouldn't it be:

   create "INBOX.testplainmboxr.jaja"

Are you connecting as a Cyrus admin?  Did anything change altnamespace or
unixhierarchysep values in imapd.conf?

You can do some testing using imtest directly against the backend where
you have more control over the commands that you send.  See what the LIST
and CREATE commands do, etc.

 	Andy