Cyrus+CalDAV

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 18 14:59:44 EDT 2013

Hi Marty,

On 07/17/2013 09:33 AM, Marty Lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing with the latest Cyrus beta which includes the CalDAV & CardDAV
> additions - from a personal perspective, almost all seems ok.
>
> Server is a Solaris 10 (x86) box; clients are mainly Mac OSX (Mountain Lion) and
> some PCs (Thunderbird/Lightning).
>
> One question that Ken or someone may already know and one issue that I need to track
> down further.
>
> The question first: I've got two users that have permission to read each others
> Default calendar (lr9) - but I'm guessing that the list of calendars returned to
> the Mac calendar app only includes calendars for the actual user, not shared ones,
> as the shared calendars can't be seen… does this sound right, or should I be able
> to see the shared calendars (or need to do something to make it work)?

Even though you set the ACLs properly, this won't help you by itself.
There is a separate CALDAV sharing spec which essentially makes shared
calendars appear under a user's own calendar-home-set. Unfortunately,
Cyrus doesn't support this spec yet.

I don't know if there are other ways for a user to access someone else's
calendars.

> I've also seem similar with the CardDAV interface - I use a DAV client to pull down
> all my contacts and put them into a local LDAP server for address book lookups for
> a number of other apps. This works if I use my username+password, but not if I use a different account with permissions to read my Default address book (lr).

There has been talk of a sharing spec for CardDAV, but I don't believe
any work has been done on it yet.

> The issue I've seen revolves around adding pictures to vCards - some existing cards have pictures (copied from existing Mac address book), but changing pictures or adding new cards with photos seems to cause problems - I suspect it's 'segfaulting' the server process, but I'm not 100% certain of that yet, so I won't log a bug just yet…

Hmm.  Which client are you using to edit the vCard?  I know that I used
the CardDAVMate javascript client to add a picture and it worked.  But
that's not to say that I don't have a bug somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback!

--
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer