Migrating to Office 365

Simon Geary s.geary at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 12:51:36 EDT 2012

_______________________________________
From: Dan White [dwhite at olp.net]
Sent: 25 June 2012 16:03
To: Simon Geary
Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: Migrating to Office 365

On 06/25/12 15:38 +0100, Simon Geary wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>I need to migrate mailboxes from a few different Cyrus servers to Microsoft
>Office 365 and am looking for a few tips.
>
>The migration process requires a CSV file to be prepared with a single
>username and password that has access to every student mailbox. Is it
>possible to create such a superuser account in Cyrus?
>
>Microsoft provide some tips on the required formatting of the CSV file for
>other IMAP servers here, but I am struggling to find a format that works.
>http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/Ee730334.aspx
>
>Anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish this?

I would guess that the Dovecot example should work. What's referred to as
an Administrator should be the equivalent of a proxyservers entry in
imapd.conf. e.g.:

proxyservers: mailadmin

For the proxy authentication to work, you will need to enable sasl
authentication, and offer a mechanism which supports it:

http://www.cyrussasl.org/docs/cyrus-sasl/2.1.25/mechanisms.php

--
Dan White

Thanks very much Dan, it is working now.

After enabling SASL and adding the superuser account to proxyservers in imapd.conf I was able to format the CSV file using the Microsoft example.

So for anyone who comes across the problem, this is the CSV format that did the trick.

EmailAddress,UserName,Password,UserRoot
student1 at qmul.ac.uk,superuser,password,studentaccount1
student2 at qmul.ac.uk,superuser,password,studentaccount2
student3 at qmul.ac.uk,superuser,password,studentaccount3

You saved me an awful lot of time, so thanks again.