Imapsync alternative?

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Mon Jan 23 14:05:45 EST 2012

Op 23-01-12 13:41, Michael Menge schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've used in the past imapsync for mailbox migrations, but sometimes I
>> found problems. For the latest version I have to pay. I can understand
>> it from the view of the developer, maybe I will pay him for the latest
>> version. But I will look for alternatives first, preferable those who
>> are in Debian.
>>
>> I saw some other programs like mailsync and movemail (from the GNU
>> mailutils), and I am interested if there is a good alternative for
>> Imapsync.
>>
>> For me it's also an option to use something like rsync to copy all files
>> of a mailbox from one Cyrus mailserver to another. Is that a good idea?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul van der Vlis.
>>
>> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mailsync
>> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mailutils
>

> Years ago we used mailutils to migrate from UW-IMAPD to cyrus, which
> was much faster than imapsync. AFAIR i had to patch mailutils to allow
> "-merge append" for the copy option but I can't find the patch anymore.
>
> If you migrate from Cyrus to Cyrus you can use rsync IMHO,

That's good news ;-)

I expect I have to do this, when syncing the mailbox "paul":
- create a mailbox with the same name on the new server
- sync /var/spool/cyrus/mail/p/user/paul
- sync /var/lib/cyrus/user/p/paul/paul.*
- sync /var/spool/sieve/p/paul

Is that everything?
What when I have to change the name of the mailbox, because of a
duplicate name on the new server?

> you might
> have to convert some databases if you change the archietecture or the
> installed version of BDB.

I am using skiplist, so I think I don't need that. Correct?
In this case I go from a 64-bit AMD system to a 32-bit Intel system.

> If your current version of cyrus is 2.3.x you can also use cyrussync,
> which will take care of different archetektures and databese versions.

No, it's still 2.2, but good to know for the future.

With regards,
Paul.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl