Imapsync alternative?

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jan 23 07:41:19 EST 2012

Hi,

Quoting Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl>:

> Hello,
>
> I've used in the past imapsync for mailbox migrations, but sometimes I
> found problems. For the latest version I have to pay. I can understand
> it from the view of the developer, maybe I will pay him for the latest
> version. But I will look for alternatives first, preferable those who
> are in Debian.
>
> I saw some other programs like mailsync and movemail (from the GNU
> mailutils), and I am interested if there is a good alternative for Imapsync.
>
> For me it's also an option to use something like rsync to copy all files
> of a mailbox from one Cyrus mailserver to another. Is that a good idea?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mailsync
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/mailutils

Years ago we used mailutils to migrate from UW-IMAPD to cyrus, which
was much faster than imapsync. AFAIR i had to patch mailutils to allow
"-merge append" for the copy option but I can't find the patch anymore.

If you migrate from Cyrus to Cyrus you can use rsync IMHO, you might
have to convert some databases if you change the archietecture or the
installed version of BDB.

If your current version of cyrus is 2.3.x you can also use cyrussync,
which will take care of different archetektures and databese versions.

      Michael Menge

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen