Fwd: Too many entries of mystore: reusing txn....

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 12 07:40:15 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-12-09 at 10:49 +0530, Anant Athavale wrote:

> As you say, the imap DEBUG logs are coming to maillog.  RHEL 6.3 ships
> with Rsyslogd and also it looks like cyrus-imapd is compiled to use
> MAIL_LOG facility.  (I tried local6.info /var/log/imapd.log. but it
> did log anything in imapd.log ).
> I am attaching rsyslog.conf (Not modified).  What I ultimately want is
> 'maillog should not contain imap logs.  And imapd.log should contain
> all logs related to cyrus/imapd with only info level logs.  '
> As I could not achieve it in short span of time, I have released the
> system, but, would like to do that in near future.  Any pointers to
> achieve?

Yes.  Give up on syslog.  Seriously.  The model provided by syslog is
very simplistic and kludgy.  Just use syslog as a transport to get
messages into an NMS, and sort, categorize, and record them there.

We send all our syslog messages to ZenOSS.  There syslog messages can be
mapped into categories, prioritized [and discarded], recorded, viewed,
and generate notifications.  And you get a user interface to do it all
in, and a coherent way to backup/restore all your machinations.

Syslog messages from imapd have a tag of imapd, and messages from
postfix have a tag of postfix, which is almost invisible in syslog
itself.  So you have the host of origin, the tag, the facility, and the
level [and the text of the message] all to work with to categorize [and
potentially discard] any way you want.

Obviously you want to discard DEBUG messages as the syslog level - that
is just too much noise for anything.  But a decent host for you NMS can
handle a surprising load of messages.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org>