/var/lib/imap/deliver.db: unexpected file type or format

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon Feb 28 08:01:57 EST 2011

> Ken Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a cyrus imap server on a Centos 5 VM that's hosted. Its
>> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3
>>
>> The hosting company were doing maintenance and rebooted my VM.

The question is what they call "doing maintenance and reboot" :)

>> Errors like this appeared in /var/log/maillog after startup.
>>

>> {snip}
>>

>> ctl_cyrusdb[3150]: checkpointing cyrus databases
>> lmtpunix[3155]: DBERROR db4: /var/lib/imap/deliver.db: unexpected file
>> type or format
>> ctl_cyrusdb[3150]: DBERROR: error listing log files: DB_NOTFOUND: No
>> matching key/data pair found
>>

> {snip}
>> I have recovered cyrus from the backup directories, but this surely this
>> shouldn't happen.
>>
>> I have another similar setup on a 64 bit Centos 5 machine where I've
>> never seen this error.
>>
>> I've checked the SysV init scripts to see if cyrus is being shut down
>> properly. It seems to be, its last log messages before reboot were...
>>
>> master[4053]: process 5187 exited, status 0
>> master[4053]: process 5278 exited, status 0
>>

>> Any ideas
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Hi Related to the above I see this log when I stop cyrus-imap
>
> Converting from /var/lib/imap/deliver.db (berkeley) to
> /var/lib/imap/deliver.db.skiplist (skiplist)
> fatal error: can't open old database
> Converting from /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db (berkeley) to
> /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db.skiplist (skiplist)
> ERROR: unable to convert /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db from berkeley to
> skiplist
>
> The stop script runs
>
>   /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb_all export
>
> during the stop process
>
> I've checked the permissions, they seem OK

Well, it really seems like some DB's are broken. If you are not afraid I
suggest to do the following:

service cyrus-imapd stop
rm /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db*
rm /var/lib/imap/deliver.db*
rm /var/lib/imap/db/*
service cyrus-imapd start

tls_sessions and deliver are not really important and will be recreated.

Regards,
Simon