/var/lib/imap/deliver.db: unexpected file type or format

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Feb 28 07:04:20 EST 2011

Ken Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a cyrus imap server on a Centos 5 VM that's hosted. Its
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-7.el5_4.3
>
> The hosting company were doing maintenance and rebooted my VM.
>
> Errors like this appeared in /var/log/maillog after startup.
>

> {snip}
>

> ctl_cyrusdb[3150]: checkpointing cyrus databases
> lmtpunix[3155]: DBERROR db4: /var/lib/imap/deliver.db: unexpected file
> type or format
> ctl_cyrusdb[3150]: DBERROR: error listing log files: DB_NOTFOUND: No
> matching key/data pair found

{snip}
> I have recovered cyrus from the backup directories, but this surely this
> shouldn't happen.
>
> I have another similar setup on a 64 bit Centos 5 machine where I've
> never seen this error.
>
> I've checked the SysV init scripts to see if cyrus is being shut down
> properly. It seems to be, its last log messages before reboot were...
>
> master[4053]: process 5187 exited, status 0
> master[4053]: process 5278 exited, status 0
>

> Any ideas
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

Hi Related to the above I see this log when I stop cyrus-imap

Converting from /var/lib/imap/deliver.db (berkeley) to
/var/lib/imap/deliver.db.skiplist (skiplist)
fatal error: can't open old database
Converting from /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db (berkeley) to
/var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db.skiplist (skiplist)
ERROR: unable to convert /var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db from berkeley to
skiplist

The stop script runs

  /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb_all export

during the stop process

I've checked the permissions, they seem OK

Any ideas

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.