Duplicate elimination causing loss of legitimate mails

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Tue Feb 15 03:57:05 EST 2011

> On Tue, February 15, 2011 9:21 am, Ramprasad wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> On our cyrus 2.3.7 servers we are seeing legitimate mails getting
>> duplicate eliminated. Some users continue to use non-compliant clients
>> which
>> use duplicate message-ids.
>>
>> Is it  possible to auto-expire records in deliver.db after say 3 hours
>> so that these losses could be minimized ... the current minimum is 1 day
>> AFAIK
>>

>> I cannot switch off duplicate elimination because that would cause
>> problems to all other users too.
>>

>> (I know I should tell users to upgrade email clients .. but that is not
>> going to work in reality )
>

> Ram,
>

> Correct.
>
> Outlook/Exchange is known for reusing message ids upon a resend action
> by the user. Other mail clients may be equally broken in this area but
> I haven't come across any of those yet.

Now there is a good chance this feature will show up on your next Nokia
phone as well :)

> Upgrading your own users (accomplished by switching to most Open Source or
> even Apple products) will do the trick, but this wouldn't help you in this
> particular case because the faulty header line is created by their corres-
> pondants (which is potentially the whole planet's population).

There is a possible workaround. You can configure a separate smtp server
which is used by the broken clients to submit messages, and there you
configure the MTA to always replace the Message-ID by a newly created one.

Simon