Duplicate elimination causing loss of legitimate mails

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Tue Feb 15 03:41:02 EST 2011

On Tue, February 15, 2011 9:21 am, Ramprasad wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On our cyrus 2.3.7 servers we are seeing legitimate mails getting
> duplicate eliminated. Some users continue to use non-compliant clients which
> use duplicate message-ids.
>
> Is it  possible to auto-expire records in deliver.db after say 3 hours
> so that these losses could be minimized ... the current minimum is 1 day AFAIK
>

> I cannot switch off duplicate elimination because that would cause
> problems to all other users too.
>

> (I know I should tell users to upgrade email clients .. but that is not
> going to work in reality )

Ram,

Correct.

Outlook/Exchange is known for reusing message ids upon a resend action
by the user. Other mail clients may be equally broken in this area but
I haven't come across any of those yet.

Upgrading your own users (accomplished by switching to most Open Source or
even Apple products) will do the trick, but this wouldn't help you in this
particular case because the faulty header line is created by their corres-
pondants (which is potentially the whole planet's population).

Eric.