Since updating to 2.4.10: Mailbox has an invalid format

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 30 03:31:14 EDT 2011

On 08/30/2011 09:03 AM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because of problems (See thread: "IOERROR: zero index/expunge record" here on
> the list about 1.5 month ago) I was told to upgrade from 2.3.16 (Scientific
> Linux 6.1 shipped RPM) to the latest 2.4.10 version (self compiled).
>
> Yesterday night I upgraded and since this morning my phone hasn't stop
> ringing, because many user are getting "Mailbox has an invalid format". The
> log says:
>
> Aug 30 08:45:57 chromosom imap[11591]: IOERROR: refreshing index for
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR: Success
> Aug 30 08:45:57 chromosom imap[11591]: IOERROR: locking index
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR: Mailbox has an invalid format
>
> When I reconstruct, I get messages like:
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR: failed to read index header
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR uid 805 found - adding
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR uid 806 found - adding
> user.muehlfeld.IMGM_Extern.GbR uid 807 found - adding
>
> I run a recursive reconstruct on the concerned mailboxes (while no one was
> accessing the it). But meanwhile I had some mailboxes I had repaired about 1h
> ago, that already show this message again.
>
> On a few mailboxes I can't run even a reconstruct any more - I only get:
> fatal error: failed to mmap new message file
>
> In this case I had to remove cyrus.cache, cyrus.cache.NEW, cyrus.index,
> cyrus.index.NEW. The *.NEW files weren't there before I run "reconstruct".

What's going on with your OS?  It looks like something isn't locking
properly!

Can you look for other lines mentioning that mailbox in your syslog?

Can you show me your ./configure line, and any patches you are applying
to 2.4.10 (if you are)

If it's the same user, can you please make a directory
$confdir/log/muehlfeld - writable by user cyrus - so you can show the
commands that the user is running when this happens.

Thanks,

Bron.