competition

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Sep 21 09:33:54 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 14:14 +0200, Marc Patermann wrote:
> Hi,
> Adam Tauno Williams schrieb am 21.09.2010 12:04 Uhr:
> >> Yes, I'm too. But this is what you see in forums and mailing list.
> >> And my post is intended to see what the Cyrus community can do to
> >> /explain/ the product any better.
> > "Be there" is the only thing I can think of.  The only way to counter
> >  advocates is to be one.
> Yes, "Be there" - but "Be prepared" and have something to point to: "See
> it is easy and all there, dude!"
> >> The new web site is a good start. We should start a best practice
> >> section in the wiki. - How do I install Cyrus on Debian/Ubuntu/...?
> > Ugh, please no.  Distro specific directions are lame, pointless, and
> > unmaintainable [beyond possibly packages-are-here].
> Yes, you're right. But in many cases it just point to somewhere else,
> which might be better than having nothing.
> For Ubuntu there is a howto: http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Cyrus_IMAPD and
> what do you get? 2.2.13 - uargh:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/cyrus-imapd-2.2
> That may not be, what we want.

It is an Ubuntu wiki - *of course* it is out of date.  And probably
wrong/bad in the first place.

> > Once the packages are installed setting up is essentially the same
> > everywhere.
> Yes. But "install" is always first. If you do not get the user to get it
> installed, everything else is useless.
>
> If you were a newbie and most people were trying to talk you away from
> Cyrus and there is no deb or rpm, would you try to compile the software
> yourself?

There are RPMs.  The first Bing result for "cyrus-imapd rpm".
<http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/>
So, while I understand your point, I don't think the situation is as
dire as building-from-source.

> >> - From single server to multi server? - How to start with
> >> partitions and why? - Where to get latest releases (rpm/deb) when
> >> is not in my distriburtion (simon matter etc.)? - Everyone is
> >> talking about "Push-Mail" - how to do it with Cyrus?
> > It just happens if you your client supports IMAP idle.
> _I_ know that. :)
> It is just one example what I think user could search for. And "Push
> mail" IMHO was one of the email buzz words of the last few years.
> > K9 on the Android seems to work very well with Cyrus in the 'push'
> > mode.  Although I've noticed users usually turn it off within a
> > couple of weeks - really, nobody wants push-mail once they have it.
> I disagree.

That IMAP idle works, or that people don't actually want push?

> >> - What if I want "Groupware" later, can I still use Cyrus? (link to
> >> projects supporting Cyrus, OX etc)
> > Shameless self promotion -I have a chapter on Cyrus in WMOGAG
> > (OpenGroupware Administrator's Guide)
> > <http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/whitemice/wmogag/file_view>
> > I've gotten quite a few compliments on it.
> You could put your "Shameless self promotion" in the wiki then. :)

It certainly isn't an 'official' Cyrus project document, so I'm hesitant
to do so.