CVS to GIT (was: New Cyrus project site and bugzilla)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Sep 13 05:42:59 EDT 2010

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Bron Gondwana wrote:
> >> The main criticism I have from a developer point of view is, well, CVS.
> >> Enough said. Please please can we have an official git mirror? It makes
> >> maintaining out-of-tree patches so much easier in the long run, and
> >> therefore much more likely that we can pass the patches back upstream.
> >
> > We're working on it!  I'm hoping to chat with Jeroen from Kolab about it
> > again tonight.  We've got a partial merge into git - but we just want to
> > make sure all the tags and authors and stuff are imported properly before
> > cutting over.  And to give people enough warning to change :)
>
> Excellent news! FWIW the PostgreSQL team have been trying to switch to
> git for the past month, and in the process have involved the cvs2git
> maintainers and had some fixes committed over the past few weeks to
> improve the migration process (note that they have also suffered from
> having to hand-tweak the repository to fix various bugs in CVS).
>
> The thread about the entire process is very long, but for those
> interested the latest summary is here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg00636.php.

We have a working sample, with a documented procedure, to move three CVS
modules (cmulocal, cyrus and sieve) into one GIT repository:

  http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Drafts/CVS_to_GIT_Conversion#Stab_.232

There some about branch and tag conversions as well. You can find the result
(which is preliminary!!) at http://git.kolabsys.com/cyrus-imapd.git.

I'll be working with Dave to get this setup over on cyrusimap.org as soon as
possible as well, but meanwhile, feedback is more then welcome!

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG