New Cyrus project site and bugzilla

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 13 04:21:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:09:53AM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Dave McMurtrie wrote:
>
> > We're very interested in growing the Cyrus project and attracting new
> > volunteers to contribute to the project, and that desire is at the core
> > of why this migration is taking place.  The biggest change is that we're
> > trying to separate the environment from Carnegie Mellon University
> > infrastructure as much as possible.  Previously, contributions of any
> > kind would end up requiring us to create a CMU computer account for a
> > willing volunteer.  We can now simply create local shell accounts as
> > required.  Almost the entire website has been created using MediaWiki
> > software, so anyone who is willing to register for an account may update
> > the website content.
>
> Wow - this looks really good :)
>
> The main criticism I have from a developer point of view is, well, CVS.
> Enough said. Please please can we have an official git mirror? It makes
> maintaining out-of-tree patches so much easier in the long run, and
> therefore much more likely that we can pass the patches back upstream.

We're working on it!  I'm hoping to chat with Jeroen from Kolab about it
again tonight.  We've got a partial merge into git - but we just want to
make sure all the tags and authors and stuff are imported properly before
cutting over.  And to give people enough warning to change :)

> (On a separate note, if I go to Downloads -> Getting Started and click
> on the "AnonymousCVS" wiki link then I get redirected back to the front
> page rather than to a page giving information on how to access CVS)

Punt to Dave :)

P.S. I'm getting going with Documentation now!  I've rewritten the
mailbox-format.html internal doc and added a namelocks.html internal
doc.  Next step is documenting the APIs at the new layer up (mailbox
API) and the one above that (index API).

And the replication protocol, and the sequence sets, buffers, etc.

And the new reconstruct function, and the at-startup cvt_cyrusdb.
I'm still looking for an expert BDB person to help me debug how
Cyrus uses BDB :)

Bron.