Store documents in IMAP folders

Gavin McCullagh gavin.mccullagh at gcd.ie
Sun Sep 12 10:10:03 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Julien Vehent wrote:

> The goal is to have a PDF library available at any time, with basic file
> search on document/message name, so a file share doesn't solve my problem
> (and I don't want any document management system, I just want access to
> files).

I don't imagine IMAP's search would work on MIME attachments, unless you
did something like add a plain text version to the body of the email.

> If outlook does it, I suppose I could code a basic PHP upload page that
> create an email containing the document and stores it into the IMAP
> directory (and integrate that to Roundcube, since it's my webmail).

Outlook allows you to upload files straight into a mail folder and the mail
folder could be shared between users.  I'm not sure how well searching
them would work.  Perhaps if the body of the emails is downloaded by the
mail client some clients might search the MIME attachments.

Gavin